By Dan Maoz
Winner of the yankee Astronomical Society's Chambliss Award, Astrophysics in a Nutshell has turn into the textual content of selection in astrophysics classes for technological know-how majors at best universities in North the US and past. during this extended and completely up-to-date moment variation, the booklet will get even higher, with a brand new bankruptcy on extrasolar planets; a significantly improved bankruptcy at the interstellar medium; absolutely up-to-date proof and figures on all topics, from the saw houses of white dwarfs to the newest effects from precision cosmology; and extra instructive challenge units. all through, the textual content positive aspects a similar centred, concise kind and emphasis on physics instinct that experience made the ebook a favourite of scholars and teachers.
Written through Dan Maoz, a number one energetic researcher, and designed for complicated undergraduate technology majors, Astrophysics in a Nutshell is a short yet thorough advent to the observational facts and theoretical recommendations underlying sleek astronomy. Generously illustrated, it covers the necessities of contemporary astrophysics, emphasizing the typical actual ideas that govern astronomical phenomena, and the interaction among idea and commentary, whereas additionally introducing topics on the leading edge of recent learn, together with black holes, darkish topic, darkish strength, and gravitational lensing.
In addition to serving as a direction textbook, Astrophysics in a Nutshell is a perfect overview for a qualifying examination and a convenient reference for lecturers and researchers.
- The such a lot concise and present astrophysics textbook for technological know-how majors—now accelerated and entirely up to date with the most recent examine results
- Contains a large and well-balanced number of conventional and present topics
- Uses uncomplicated, brief, and transparent derivations of actual results
- Trains scholars within the crucial abilities of order-of-magnitude analysis
- Features a brand new bankruptcy on extrasolar planets, together with discovery techniques
- Includes new and accelerated sections and difficulties at the physics of shocks, supernova remnants, cosmic-ray acceleration, white dwarf houses, baryon acoustic oscillations, and more
- Contains instructive challenge units on the finish of every chapter
- Solutions guide (available in basic terms to professors)
Read or Download Astrophysics in a Nutshell: Second Edition PDF
Similar general physics books
Due to the fact that its inception in 1966, the sequence of numbered volumes referred to as Semiconductors and Semimetals has unusual itself throughout the cautious number of recognized authors, editors, and members. The Willardson and Beer sequence, because it is well known, has succeeded in generating a variety of landmark volumes and chapters.
This quantity contains a range of the Albert Einstein Memorial Lectures awarded each year on the Israel Academy of Sciences and arts. brought through eminent scientists and students, together with Nobel laureates, they disguise a wide spectrum of matters in physics, chemistry, lifestyles technological know-how, arithmetic, historiography and social matters.
Physics via instance comprises 200 difficulties from quite a lot of key themes, in addition to designated, step by step options. by means of guiding the reader via rigorously selected examples, this booklet may help to boost ability in manipulating actual thoughts. issues handled comprise: statistical research, classical mechanics, gravitation and orbits, distinct relativity, simple quantum physics, oscillations and waves, optics, electromagnetism, electrical circuits, and thermodynamics.
Bachelorarbeit aus dem Jahr 2013 im Fachbereich Physik - Didaktik, be aware: 1,7, Universität Koblenz-Landau, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Motiviert durch die internationalen Vergleichsstudien, in denen deutschen Schülerinnen und Schülern schlechte Werte bezüglich der Fachinhalte bescheinigt werden, wird in dieser Arbeit das Lehrerhandeln während offener experimenteller Unterrichtssituationen im Physikunterricht erfasst.
- Science Matters: Achieving Scientific Literacy
- Gottes unsichtbare Würfel: Die Physik an den Grenzen des Erforschbaren (German Edition)
- Mathematical Methods for Physicists and Engineers: Second Corrected Edition (Dover Books on Physics)
- Die Physik des Bewusstseins: Über die Zukunft des Geistes (German Edition)
- Surface Imaging for Biomedical Applications
- Physics for Scientists and Engineers: Pearson New International Edition: A Strategic Approach with Modern Physics
Extra info for Astrophysics in a Nutshell: Second Edition
Astrophysics in a Nutshell: Second Edition by Dan Maoz